Search

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Christmas Shoes

Ugh... I'm not really sure how to write reviews, but here goes....

I finished The Christmas Shoes by Donna VanLiere... Friday night/Saturday morning. After finishing the book, though I finished it in tears, I wasn't quite sure what to make of all of it. So I gave myself sometime to think about it. Did it do me any good? No of course not. I'm still not quite sure what to make of it. That being said, I've given it a 3/5 on goodreads.

What had me crying most was probably the discussion between Maggie and her seven year old Nathan. I just couldn't imagine ever having to discuss dying with someone who means so much to me. Otherwise...? I feel that much of the story was a little flat, it was a good one by all means, just a little flat. I think it should have been longer, it could have been longer.

One thing I was slightly disappointed with, was some of the point of views. I don't understand, with the story coming from a few different point of views, why wasn't Nathan's one of them? I'm a believe that children aren't half as oblivious as people think. They have just as much depth, and even more growing room. Yet we have to sit through the point of view of his teacher, who was probably the most boring to read about. Does this even make sense to anyone? Having the point of view from the teacher? Really?

However, on to other things. Would I read it again? I'm not really sure. Maybe one day, but not any time soon. Though that won't stop me from reading the sequels, let's just hope they're better than this one.




This is a book from my own personal library.

1 comment:

  1. Hey jessie!
    I just love your blog it is just sooo CUTE! I appreciate you visiting my blot and commenting on my mailbox. So a great and terrible beauty is a good book? Thanks for letting me know :)

    I hope you visit again!

    XO
    jade @ OnceUponAWanderer

    ReplyDelete