Search

Monday, December 5, 2011

Books to Movies Marathon!

I've decided on Tuesday, while I attempt to do some more cleaning and organizing my shelves, that I'm going to watch movies based off of books. Most of which I've read the book of, however, I own a number of movies I bought (and seen) before I knew they were first books. However, the ones I have read (some I actually read this year). I might do a little comparing thing. I guess it matters how lazy I'm feeling Tuesday night.

Movies Based Off of Books I Haven't Read:
The first in my pile of movies, is What Dreams May Come based off of the book with the same name by Richard Matheson. I remember seeing it years ago when it first came out in DVD. My aunt used to do girls movie night, every couple of weeks, so this was one of the movies we saw. I hadn't realized it was based off of a book until a few years ago when a cousin of mine gave me the book (and it's been sitting in my TBR pile ever since).

There are the two Princess Diaries movies, both like before I first saw during a girls night out. I believe going out to see the second one had been for the fourteenth birthday. Though I know the second has nothing to do with the book series, it became my favorite of the two. Though it hadn't been that way at first, I have come to love it on it's own. And after looking into the books, and knowing how things play out in the novels, I definitely like the movie version better than the books.

I have Stardust, based off of the book with the same name by Neil Gaiman. I bought the movie for a couple dollars at Blockbuster a few years ago. I had just started to expand my movie collection, and thought it looked interesting. I wished I had realized how long it was before putting it on at 11:30pm. But it was worth losing that half-hour or so of sleep. It was a good movie, and the book has been part of my growing TBR pile ever since.

Almost done, next is FernGully based off of a book with the same name by Diana Young. This was one of the few children movies an older aunt of mine owned, so I saw it often while I stayed with her daughter. I recently ordered the book so hopefully it will get here soon!

And finally, last, is Quest for Camelot. Can I say how much I love this movie? I really do love this movie. I remember seeing the previews for this movie when it first came out and thinking, "this looks like crap I'm not going to see that movie." Well, I did, a few years ago I saw it on HBO. And again... and again, and again. It replayed every few days, and every time I saw it, and every time I loved it. It wasn't until I saw it on DVD, that I realized in the beginning credits it said it was based off a movie, The King's Damosel by Vera Chapman. I've been looking out for this book, and I keep hoping I come across it soon. I really want to read the book one of my favorite movies is based of off... maybe someday.


Movies Based Off of Book I Have Read:
Ok, so first up is The Black Cauldron. I've seen this movie a couple of times on the Disney Channel in the past, and I never once thought of looking it up until last year. I've always enjoyed this movie, however, I never got to see it from the beginning, so I decided that I wanted to own it. (Last year was it's 25th anniversary so I believe it was re-released on DVD. It came with a Halloween bag, so that only made me want it more, I know I'm such a little kid sometimes.) However, thanks to this movie, I was introduced to The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. I wish I had learned about these books sooner, they were unbelievably awesome, I finished the series earlier this year. I would have loved them when I was younger, probably more than I do now.

Next is Drive me Crazy based off of Todd Strasser's How I Created My Perfect Prom Date. The movie I had seen long before the book, when it was in theaters. I believe I saw it with an older cousin, I was close to when I was younger (the one whose mother owed FernGully). I later read the book and found it especially cute (I have to stop myself from comparing the two right now).

And in this now messy pile of movies, Ella Enchanted, based off the movie with the same name by Gail Carson Levine. The book was recommended to me by a friend. Though the previews for the movie didn't interest me (it was similar to Quest for Camelot, where I thought it was total crap), so I was a little hesitant to read the book. However, my friend assured me that the book was worth a read. She was right. I finally watched the movie, a few years after it came out, after an aunt convinced me that it was rather cute and my younger cousin loved it. So I watched the movie when it came on on Disney Channel, and was obsessed with it for months. To shut me up about it, a friend of mine bought me the movie for Christmas one year. As with the one above I have to keep myself from comparing the two right now. Especially since there are so many things to compare. Though I usually read this book every year, I haven't gotten to it this year, I'm hoping to do so before the year is up.

This is taking longer than I expected, I just mean to list the ones I could choose from and say if I read the books yet or not. So lets see how if I can go through the next few quickly...

I have, the Secret Life of Bees, based off of book by the same name by Sue Monk Kidd. I first saw a part of this movie a few years ago when it was on HBO. I liked what I saw so I bought the book, and finally read it this year, and finally saw the whole movie afterward.

Ok, next, both movies of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, series by Ann Brashares. I loved this series growing up and was happy to hear that they were making movies based off of them. I can't really say much, just because if I do compare them later, I don't want to repeat myself.

The Time Traveler's Wife, based off of the book with the same name, blah, blah, blah, by Audrey Niffenegger (I think I spelled that right). I don't know what to say to this so yay for me!

Next is the 2004 Pride & Prejudice. I love both the book and the movie, and so have nothing to say about it right now. Again yay for me!

Last and unfortunately not one, I can just mention and not say anything about it. Last is Howl's Moving Castle based off of the book with the same name by the late Diana Wynne Jones. I'm a fan of Hayao Miyazaki's work, one year after watching a marathon on Cartoon Network (they showed four movies, two of which I had seen before), I asked my mother for a number of his movies for Christmas. Before I was only been really familiar with Kiki's Delivery Service (which if I think about it, I believe is also based off a book, so maybe I'll see that too!), and Spirited Away (however, unlike most people who have see this movie, this is probably one of my least favorites, just sayin'). So Christmas came along, and I forgot I asked my mother for a bunch of movies (Studio Ghibli movies along with others). I ended up getting a giant box, with phone books in it (to make it heavy), and an IOU note. It had seemed that my mother had ordered the movies and expected them on time, however, they came late. Which was a little sad it think about, since I fell in love with Howl's Moving Castle, and saw it a number of times before school started up after the holiday break. Soon after seeing the movie, I knew I had to get the book, so later that year I bought the book, and it's sequel, and then a couple years later another was published! Needless to say I love both the book and the movie.

WOW, well that took longer than I expected, and if anyone actually read that, thank you. I didn't mean to write so much. As I said before I just expected to write a list of the movies I'm hoping to see Tuesday (and might actually carry on until Wednesday). Weird. And now I'm too lazy to check it for obvious (other than my over use of commas) grammar errors. Ugh... I'll do it tomorrow. (Edit: So I lied, I fixed a few things after I had published this post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment