Search

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hammer of God by Karen Miller

Hammer of God begins almost right where The Riven Kingdom ends. Who Zandakar is, and the danger his mother will bring is now known to Rhian. Now, as God's chosen, it's up to the new crowned queen to find a way to prevent Hekat from taking over the world because Hekat and her warhost is now simply an ocean away. However, thanks to the witch-men of Tzhung-tzhungchai, the empress spends much of her time on shore waiting for the winds to be in her favor. Still, these men of Tzhung-tzhungchai, especially the Emperor Han, remain a mystery to Rhian. What's one more?

Hmm... honestly I'm not sure what to say about this one. I loved it just as I did the one before it. However, I saw much of it coming. I think I'm most disappointed with the ending. I knew, I knew how things would come about with Rhain and Zandakar (but that doesn't mean I wished it would be different). Poor Zandakar, is a giant tool. I loved him most in this book probably for that reason. As I had said I wished the ending for him and Rhain had been different, but part of that is because I hated the fact that they used him because he loved Rhain. It was what kept him faithful with the cause and everyone seemed okay with that. Really? On the same note, I can't get over Alasdair being okay with being second best. He's almost as big a tool as Zandakar (I hated Alasdair, all the way to the end).

Moving on. I also knew part of the ending for Hekat and Vortka, they've always been a pair to me. Ever since Hekat shared her bread with him, oh so long ago. I knew that if one lived the other would live, if one died the other would die, it was just the way things worked out in my head. I hope since we learn about the peace that Marlen found, I hope that Vortka and Hekat found it as well, at least for Vortka's sake, who is my favorite character in the series. However, through out the novel, I feel like he didn't do enough to stop Hekat, I was rather disappointed at him when it came to that. I also question Vortka keeping Zandakar from Hekat, which in the end seemed to me that Vortka had done it to be selfish, or at least to get back at Hekat, which doesn't really sound like him.

The epilogue did nothing to satisfy me. I found it a little pointless to be honest (maybe I'm not reading into it the way I should be). The last thing, I understand that Han was a complete mystery and probably wasn't meant for anyone (the readers included) to fully understand him. Still, I would have liked to learn more about him and his people.

I would give Hammer of God a 4.5 out of 5. On Goodreads I rounded down, because I don't feel like it deserves a 5.

 


This is a book from my own personal library.

No comments:

Post a Comment