Search

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

So You Want to Be a Wizard by Diane Duane

Neither thirteen-year-old Juanita "Nita" Callahan and twelve-year-old Christopher "Kit" Rodriguez, fully understood what they were getting themselves into when they gave the Wizard's Oath to become wizards. Both simply wanted to find a way to protect themselves from bullies (and Nita wanted her stolen pen back). Nita's first attempt at wizardry with Kit, ends up bring from space a white hole named Khairelikoblepharehglukumeilichephriedosd 'enagouni, nicknamed Fred by Kit. Fred, however, brings news that the "Good Book" the Book of Night with Moon, is missing. And so they find themselves on their Ordeal (a test given by the Powers That Be). On their Ordeal they will enter an alternate New York City, face a dragon, and cars and helicopters that move on their own accord. And lastly, they will face the Lone Power the creator of death and known by many names (ex: "Starsnuffer").

I have to say I loved this book. I've read it a number of times and never loved it more. When I first read it... oh some eight/nine years ago, I couldn't really get into it. The first book in the Young Wizards series held little interest to me. Though some what predictable and cliched in some parts. *Bring on the sarcasm* I know what am I talking about good vs. evil, who does that? But these kids Nita and Kit, who are just a couple of really smart kids, sure made me feel stupid when I was their age (and there I thought thinking I was a smart kid). Though the book, which was great with other aspects, didn't really allow the reader to get to know the characters much. Still, I'll admit, I loved the characters. Of course, I'd give a million props to any author who would have a smart, Hispanic kid, kicking major butt.

This time around, I hated every time I had to put the book down, usually I'm easily distracted. Though I know how it ended, I couldn't wait to read it again. I even found the dragon thing amusing, which I'm pretty sure I usually skim over at that point. Though the book is more MG than YA, I probably wouldn't recommend it to a middle schooler, I'm not sure how much attention they would have for the details.



This is a book from my own personal library.

No comments:

Post a Comment