Search

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Weigh In Wednesday (1)



Weigh in Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Epilogue. The topic for this weeks meme is: 

Ebook vs Printed

I'm all about the printed books.

So once upon a time, Jessie went out and bought herself a Kobo eReader, however she was so unsatisfied with it that she returned it.

That's right, I hated my eReader. It mocked me. It sat in it's box laughing at me because I spent $127 on it and couldn't buy any books because all the ones I wanted were 8.99. Sure 8.99 (and I've seen some cheaper prices lately) isn't bad. However lets compare prices shall we? The first book I saw going on to Amazon was Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. It's currently 8.39 on paperback, and 9.80 hardcover but you know what? I'm too cheap to pay those kinds of prices, I think I'm going to go with the kindle format for 7.14. Yay... no. What is that? Not only do I have to spend $79 on a kindle but I still have to pay about the same amount for an ebook as a physical copy? Guess what? I'll go to the used book store and pay $1 for the paperback version. That's how I'm saving money! Sure there are a number of cheaper books, however, they aren't the ones I want.

My ranting on books aside. I just like the feel of books. I love going into a store to buy some or getting boxes of books in the mail. I love flipping through the pages. Though, I have actually been thinking about buying myself a Kindle. I have a number of ebooks I've won, got free, etc. I do have the app for my PC, however reading on a computer screen gets tiring after awhile. I'm still debating about it. And maybe a Kindle would be nicer to me than a Kobo. And of course I have a few friends who love their Kindles and tell me that I need to go out and get one. They're trying to peer pressure me!

6 comments:

  1. I find that ebooks are really good for discovering indie authors. With their books it's often the case that the ebook is fairly cheap while the physical copy is well on the expensive side. I only read a couple of books on my Kindle app for the PC befre I realised it was killing my eyes and bugged the bf to get my a Kindle for X-mas instead. Now I really like my Kindle! Though I still like physical books for all the reasons you listed, so I switch between the two.

    My WiW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my kindle, but love physical books too! I guess I prefer my kindle though.
    New Follower!

    MY WIW http://redheaded-bookworm.blogspot.com/2012/05/weigh-in-wednesday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kindles are nice in some ways... but in others forget it! ! Nothing compares to the feel of a hard copy. The page turning, the smell... yum!

    Btw: you have word verification on so it took three times for me to post my comment (you may want to consider turning it off!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Thank you for telling me. I hate those word verifications.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I know, what's up with the prices? Ebooks should be cheaper, at least the ones that are available as print, too ;)
    I know that lots of people love their kindles, so maybe you should try it ;) 'cause yeah, I read ebooks with the app on my laptop, too, but it gets tiring, that's why I love my physical books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do have a (cheap) e-reader and I like it, but it can't compare to a real book. I love the feeling of a book in my hands and the way the covers look in my collection. I like flipping through the pages: I even like to smell it :p

    But e-readers are a perfect way to find new authors and discover fantastic books :)

    ReplyDelete