Search

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Weigh in Wednesday (6)



Weigh in Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Epilogue. The topic for this weeks meme is: 

Graphic Novel vs Traditional Novel

Well, honestly it's really hard for me to pick one over the other. However, I'm going to have to say traditional novels. The reason for that is everything fits in a traditional novel, where as a Graphic novel sometimes takes a few books to finish (and since I read manga I'm talking about 15+ books on average). Even if the traditional novels are in a series, they tend to take up less space on my shelves. Take the Maximum Ride series (both the graphic and traditional novels) by James Patterson,  for every one Max book there are TWO graphic novels (granted the Max graphic novels are bigger than many I've read and don't really skip out on anything that happened in the books... that's not my point).

And sure sometimes some of the graphic novels are rather small like Holly Black's The Good Neighbors, however, we go back to this one story being told through three novels, and it's rather annoying to be perfectly frank. Why couldn't they just make it one novel instead of three? However, the upside to graphic novels is that they're faster to read, and seeing the image can sometimes make things better/more enjoyable (ex: seeing a character trip is much more funny than reading about them falling). Still I'll say Traditional novels are better, even if just slightly.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to hear the opinion of someone who actually reads GN! :)

    ~Ali

    My WIW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it would be annoying for one book to be broken down into three!! And (granted I don't know a lot about them) if they release them all separately its 3x more waiting!

    ReplyDelete