Search

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Weigh in Wednesday (8)



Weigh in Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Epilogue. The topic for this weeks meme is: 

Fairytale Retelling vs. Original Fairytale

I'm going to have to say retelling. For one thing they tend to be less depressing than their originals. Whenever I read the Little Mermaid when I was younger I always wondered why she didn't just kill the Prince and his wife. There really seemed to be no reason for the Mermaid to do otherwise, I don't care how much she loved the Prince. Seriously love at first sight? Yes I know there's probably something wrong with the way I think, but I've always believed that a person should put their own health and well-being above others. And, the Prince wasn't that interesting to begin with why did she love him? Let's not even get into other things that annoy me in fairytales, like in Cinderella. Why didn't she just leave? She probably could have found herself a job as a maid and get paid for it. Stupid. And, again, the whole love at first sight thing. Ugh. I like retellings when Cinderella and Prince Charming aren't such tools.

Rants aside. Retellings also give more of an insight to the characters and gives the stories more background than their originals. Unfortunately for me some of my favorite fairytales don't have many retellings of them.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that retellings give more insight into character and background...although one of the things I like about the originals is that you can imagine so many different possibilities for the characters! I also kind of like the sad original fairy tales...that's just me, though!

    ReplyDelete