Search

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A Blight of Mages by Karen Miller

A Blight of Mages is the prequel to Karen Millers Kingmaker, Kingbreaker series. This is the story of Barl a young Mage who knows she is born to do great things, but because she is from an unranked family she isn't given a chance. She's restless, she can't stay in one place long enough, she just looking for something that will fulfill what she is capable of doing. Her brother Remmie, thinks she has a future doing what she is currently doing and that is making clocks, of course that's not good enough for Barl. On the other side of things, there is Morgan, a young Council member, who is a ranked Mage and is currently working on his magework trying to work something that will help protect Dorana, from something he knows is coming, but he can't tell what.

The two finally meet when Barl tries to convince the College at Elvado admittance, but is of course denied. With Barl by his side Morgan feels that he can do anything. She sees things differently and she's powerful, and Barl, finally gets the education she's always wanted. How they get to the ending, in which Barl and some of the others flee to Lur leaving Morgan behind isn't what we are led to believe in the original two books. There are actually a few things that are different. Of course they make a point of not exactly telling the complete truth to the people of Lur which would make sense that hundred of years later they would think things happened differently.

I have to say that I liked this book much better than I liked The Innocent Mage and The Awakened Mage. I felt that it started off better than the first one, I definitely got into it a lot more quickly. I had thought I wrote reviews for those books (I see that I didn't). However, I'm pretty sure I probably would have just complained about how the only character I had liked was Gar. I liked the majority of the characters here. And, I thought they were relatable, whose never felt like they could do better than what they were being forced to do? Whether it was at work or at school. Maybe not at the degree Barl, but those many of the characters called her arrogant, I don't think I saw that as much as they did.

There were a few problems I did have, the book was kind of long. I did expect for Barl and Morgan to meet sooner and for their problems to happen sooner. I kind of felt their journey to Lur and the outcome, Barl saving the rest of the Dorana people and the land of Lur, all of that felt rush. Of course I did expect some sort of big civil war to go on as they traveled so that might have been the reason why. They didn't exactly explain how Morgan became Morg. I don't know if I overlooked it (I don't think I did). I kind of now suspected it was Venette's doing, hoping it made him sound less human.

I gave A Blight of Mages 4/5.



A Blight of Mages is a book from my own personal library.

No comments:

Post a Comment