Search

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Lure of Shapinsay by Krista Holle

Description (from GoodReads): "Ever since Kait Swanney could remember, the old crones of the village have been warning her to stay away from the selkies. They claim that like sirens of old, the seal men creep from the inky waters, shed their skins, and entice women to their deaths beneath the North Sea. But avoiding an encounter becomes impossible when Kait is spotted at the water’s edge, moments after the murder of a half-selkie infant.

Unexpectedly, Kait is awoken by a beautiful, selkie man seeking revenge. After she declares her innocence, the intruder darts into the night, but not before inadvertently bewitching her with an overpowering lure.

Kait obsesses over a reunion deep beneath the bay and risks her own life to be reunited with her selkie. But when she lands the dangerous lover, the chaos that follows leaves Kait little time to wonder—is it love setting her on fire or has she simply been lured?"

Well it's been a long time since I've read this book. I actually wrote the review but I didn't save it, it was on notepad and then my computer turned off on me. :( Anyway. I really liked this book. This was my first selkie read, which I think is why the book still stands out so much to me after so long. I didn't know what to expect, I didn't even know what selkies were I had to look them up. I loved mermaids growing up, they were my favorite sea mythical creatures, but after I had finished readings this, I'm not so sure any more.

This book took me about two days to finish. I had started it than I put it down and picked it up again. Once I got into it, that was it, I didn't put it down. The story moved at a good pace and I just wanted to know what came next. I loved Kait, who was strong. I feel like in YA, when a strong girl falls in love sometimes she isn't as strong, I didn't feel that way with Kait. And, if I remember correctly, she had felt that she wasn't as strong, afterward, but I don't think that was the case. I also really liked Tipper, and her story was a sad one. I can't remember what I thought her story was going to be, but what it was caught me a little off guard. I wasn't especially fond of Eamon, but I was able to move past that without much of a problem. I would give this book a 4/5.



I was given this book by the author for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment