Search

Friday, March 1, 2013

It's MARCH! And Let's Talk (2)

It's MARCH! Do you know what that means? Nothing! No seriously? SPRING! I'm a spring baby so that might be part of why I love it so much and why I hate the winter. Also for anyone who lives in New England might know how brutal this winter's been for us. So I'm especial excited for spring. I'm likely to be excited about this all month!

I have a few giveaways planned this month too! Yes still lots and lots of explanation points! I'll be participating in a giveaway hop something I haven't done in months, and hosting a giveaway and possibly challenge for the Fairy Tale Read-a-Thon and maybe just another one later in the month on the house. Now on to the meme!



Let's Talk is a weekly meme originally hosted by Melissa from i swim for oceans. It is now being hosted by Smash from Smash Attack Reads and Kt from a Book Obsession.

This weeks topic is: "Do you need romance in your books to read them? If not, what else 'hooks' you?"

I personally don't need romance in a book to read it. I wish I could think of what books they were. But there are a few books I wish had no romance in them, however, on the flip side, I've read some that I wish maybe had some. However, there were others that I would leave just as they were. One series I like to bring up from time to time, is the Young Wizards series. I know some people in the fandom had liked to complain that the two main characters never showed any interest in anyone. They're at that age where they would begin to show interest I believe is the main thing. Of course this never bothered me because honestly, I started the series at thirteen and though I've always been a slight romantic at heart even at twenty-two I've never been the least bit interested in anyone. Of course at book nine (sorry for the spoiler for anyone) that all changes. Of course, I reread the series last year (I actually do this like clock work) and I began to wonder if there were hints/foreshadowing to things to come beforehand.

One of the big things that hook me while I'm reading, are the characters. If I really like the characters, I'll continue reading. Even if I find fault with the plot. The book Empress by Karen Miller, I only continued to read because I liked the character Vortka (believe that's his name). And he wasn't actually the main character. I had to come to terms with the fact that, Hekat, the main character wasn't supposed to be the "good guy" she was more of an antagonist, once I realized that I liked her a little more. Though Vortka loved Hekat, we really got no hint that she had any feelings for him in return, only that she viewed him as a comrade and had respect for him. This was a book, I was okay with having it being played out the way it did.

Overall romance isn't really necessary (or even an awesome storyline) as long as I like the characters enough.

3 comments:

  1. I think characters carry any story. What's the point in reading otherwise? I also love me some world-building. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I think characters are the draw for everything I read. I lean toward the UF, PNR, Fantasy side way more than contemporary though. ;)

    ReplyDelete