Search

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Description (from Amazon): "Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart."

The farther I get away from having read Shadow and Bone the less I like it. The copy I had was an ARC copy, I had received as a R.A.K. So it didn't have a map in it, which would have been helpful a bit, sometimes with fantasy settings I like to be able to look at a map. I didn't really understand what the Fold was (that's what it was called right?), and a few other things tended to get all mushed in my head, so a glossary would have been nice as well.

All that aside, I did like the story, and for the most part I couldn't put the book down. I did like most of the characters as well. Though I feel like it's obvious there is more to the Darkling, I think there is definitely more to Baghra. And whether or not she's a good guy seems to be just as much as in question to me as whether or not the Darkling is (I mean if you're questioning that). The one character I didn't like was Mal. We are told from the very beginning how much Alina is just in love with him, and of course this boy doesn't get much screen time. I don't understand why authors do the whole childhood sweetheart thing. (Granted it's one-sided love, who am I kidding? It's always one-sided at first.) Personally I'm sick of it. As far as I understand, people who grow up together, especially the way these two did, will probably have more of a sibling relationship (ew). And how exactly did the whole Mal and Alina thing come to happen in the end? Did that seem forced to anyone else?

Yeah, so I originally gave Shadow and Bone 4/5, but I can't help but question my sanity at the time.



This is a book from my own personal library

2 comments:

  1. This is the first review that has said anything negative about the book. I'm glad you still liked thing about it. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the opposite reaction-at first, I didn't really like it but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I loved it and can't wait for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete