Search

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Description (from GoodReads): "Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves."

Okay, I can so see why people love this series. I'll be honest here. I saw the movie a few times before I read the book. I didn't know it was a book until I saw the movie and the whole "based off of the book" bit in the beginning titles you know. I enjoyed the movie immensely for the most part. (Expect the whole Persephone being in the Underworld just before Summer Solstice, because that just didn't make any sense.) I knew the movie and book were different so I was a little worried, but I loved the book so much. I really wished this series existed when I was younger, if I'm enjoying it now, I think an eleven year old me wouldn't know what to do with herself right now.

I really enjoyed the humor, and it starts right at the beginning. I loved the chapter titles, I think my favorite was "I Become Supreme Lord of the Bathroom". I can't even think of anything to complain about the characters (or really anything in general). I kind of want to go back and reread it even though I do have the next to books in the series to get to. I thought if I gave myself time to think about it I would come up with a list of things I didn't like, but I didn't.

I can easily give this book 5/5.




This is a book from my own personal library.

1 comment:

  1. I thought this book was pretty funny too. :) It's not ALWAYS true to the mythology (Jackson mixes up Cronus and Chronos later in the series...it's just something you need to accept) but it's a fun story. I'm enjoying the spin-off series even more than the first series, though. His writing has developed quite a bit over the last several years.

    ReplyDelete