Search

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

My Quest To Make My Books Un-Smelly

Just a few hours ago, I discovered not one, but TWO of my books that smell of cigarettes and as a non-smoker I can barely think of anything less disgusting. I was moving things around on my shelf and randomly I picked a book and opened it and it reeked of smoke. The worst part? It seemed to have started to stink up the other books as well. I had to pull it off the shelf. Later on I found another one, I can't even remember how I came across these books.

I don't even know what I should do with them now. They are ones I want to read, but I can't even open them let alone leave them on my shelves. I tried airing the first one I found out on the deck to see if that worked for a few hours. It didn't work and it looks a bit foggy so I got a bit worried about the book. I'm going to stick the books in a bag with a few air fresheners and see how that goes.

6 comments:

  1. It's better than discovering your cat peed on one of your books in the morning. A school book nonetheless. Airing it out did not work. The air fresheners might work. This might work: http://tinyurl.com/p37c5mm
    It's not the same thing as an old musty book but hey. It's worth a try. It does say something about cigarette smoke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ew, I once had a cat vomit on my anthropology text book. Thankfully I never really used it, so it was fine. But cat pee is definitely worse.

      Delete
  2. Oh yuck... Haha. To the smokey smell, as well as kitty fluids. My cat has a thing with being to lazy to jump off my bed and throw up on the floor in the middle of the night. I do wake up to her vomit om me sometimes. Not pleasant.

    Honestly, I'd have to throw the books out and buy new copies. My asthma is so bad that the smell would set me off. I hope you find a solution!

    - Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of throwing them out, but I always feel bad doing that.

      Delete
  3. Maybe get some of those plastic shoeboxes, the storage ones, and lock them in there with some fabric softener sheets? That might only disguise it though. I used to smoke, and now when I run across something in storage from my smoking days, I just want to gag - it is HORRIBLE! Yuck! I hope you find a solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! I looked up ways to deal with this and there were a few similar ones, so it could work.

      Delete