Search

Friday, May 31, 2013

Review: The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

Description (from Goodreads): "Percy Jackson isn't expecting freshman orientation to be any fun. But when a mysterious mortal acquaintance appears on campus, followed by demon cheerleaders, things quickly move from bad to diabolical.

In this latest installment of the blockbuster series, time is running out as war between the Olympians and the evil Titan lord Kronos draws near. Even the safe haven of Camp Half-Blood grows more vulnerable by the minute as Kronos's army prepares to invade its once impenetrable borders. To stop them, Percy and his demigod friends must set out on a quest through the Labyrinth-a sprawling underground world with stunning surprises at every turn. Full of humor and heart-pounding action, this fourth book promises to be their most thrilling adventure yet."


Okay so I don't know what it was about this one, I don't know if it's because I'm hormonal, sorry to those who didn't want to know, or if it's the actual book. But I cried a bit while reading The Battle of the Labyrinth. 

First, let me say, I need to change my rating from a 4 to a 5. I didn't like it as much as the first book or the third, but it definitely it home. Second, there were a few things that I wanted to see and questions that I wanted answer.

We got to see our first minor god. Which I was finally glad to see, however, it seems that Janus was a Roman god with not Greek equivalent so I'm kind of confused there. We finally meet Hera, who I think I kind of liked, we all know she's a bit crazy, but I think you would have to be to be married to Zeus. Also, we finally learned how Athena had babies. This was kind of bothering me since I first saw the movie. I mean, how is Athena popping out babies? Shouldn't she be I don't know not having those sort of relations with men?

One thing I still wonder however is about minor gods and their children. We meet Ethan who's a child of Nemesis the goddess of revenge. Ethan once spent a summer at Camp Half-Blood and of course was probably forced to stay in Hermes cabin. Who really thought this through with the cabins? I thought about what Nico said to Percy who tried talking him into staying and Nico saying how there was no Hades Cabin. Granted Hades isn't a minor god, but still. What do they do to other half-bloods who are "claimed" or whatever by their minor god parents? Do they say: "Oh well you aren't important you can leave now!" and then kick them out the camp or something? Or do the stay stuck in Hermes Cabin feeling like they don't belong? The least they could do is have a cabin or two for minor gods or something. Sorry for my rant, I was just confused by this.

Speaking of Nico, his little quest to save his sister made me cry just a bit. And, I don't know how to say this without giving it away, but the garden bit in the labyrinth also had me going. Of course, I had thought that that seeming to be such a big thing it wouldn't be dealt with until later, obviously I was wrong.

And of course, I was glad to see Tyson return after his absence during the last book. So it was all good. 5 out of 5 now that I've thought about it. I'm currently reading the fifth and last book, I think I'll have the review for that one up soon. I won't wait till the end of June to get it done.




This is a book from my own personally library.

No comments:

Post a Comment