Search

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Review: Outpost by Ann Aguirre

Description (from Goodreads): "Deuce’s whole world has changed.

Down below, she was considered an adult. Now, topside in a town called Salvation, she’s a brat in need of training in the eyes of the townsfolk. She doesn't fit in with the other girls: Deuce only knows how to fight.

To make matters worse, her Hunter partner, Fade, keeps Deuce at a distance. Her feelings for Fade haven’t changed, but he seems not to want her around anymore. Confused and lonely, she starts looking for a way out.

Deuce signs up to serve in the summer patrols—those who make sure the planters can work the fields without danger. It should be routine, but things have been changing on the surface, just as they did below ground. The Freaks have grown smarter. They’re watching. Waiting. Planning. The monsters don’t intend to let Salvation survive, and it may take a girl like Deuce to turn back the tide."


As per usual I'm not really sure what to say about a book I just loved. I had read some not too happy reviews (which is strange considering the rating on Goodreads) along with the occasional good one, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Outpost is fantastic.

One thing to take note of is the feel and pace of the book. At one point in the book Deuce thinks about how much slower life feels at Salvation. When she lived in the enclave life was went by faster, there wasn't time for conversation, it was always fight, fight, fight. I feel like the two books were that way. With Enclave it was very much all action, there were pockets of other things happening, but it was always action always fighting. With Outpost there was of course a ton of action, but we also got to see Deuce try to act like a girl.

In Outpost we saw Deuce form relationships with her foster parents and we saw her enter relationship with Fade sort of blossom and then sort of not. I have to be honest, when I thought about it, I was a bit confused as to why Fade pulled away from her in the first book in the first place. Of course, after what had happened to him later in the second one (and not exactly knowing what it was that had happened to him), the second time seems more understandable. However, the Fade we saw while he was with Deuce in this book was rather nice I think. Stalker is a completely different story. And as Teagen was one of my favorite characters from the first book I was a bit disappointed we didn't get to see her much in this book, I'm hoping that will change in the next unless something terrible happens to her.

Outpost is just a bit longer than Enclave, which I think is appropriate, especially considering what I said earlier. I wished I couldn't put this book down. I feel like everyone was conspiring against me and didn't want me to finish. I probably would have finished this book sooner. It took me like two weeks I'm so ashamed. May did not start off as a good month for me. Still, I can't wait for Horde. Easily, easily, 5 out of 5.



This is a book from my own personally library.

No comments:

Post a Comment