Search

Friday, May 31, 2013

Review: The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Description (From Goodreads): "Percy Jackson’s seventh-grade year has been surprisingly quiet. Not a single monster has set foot on his New York prep-school campus. But when an innocent game of dodgeball among Percy and his classmates turns into a death match against an ugly gang of cannibal giants, things get . . . well, ugly. And the unexpected arrival of Percy’s friend Annabeth brings more bad news: the magical borders that protect Camp Half-Blood have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and unless a cure is found, the only safe haven for demigods will be destroyed.

In this fresh, funny, and hugely anticipated follow up to The Lightning Thief, Percy and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their beloved camp. But first, Percy will discover a stunning new secret about his family—one that makes him question whether being claimed as Poseidon’s son is an honor or simply a cruel joke."


I was so happy to jump right into The Sea of Monsters. I find the Percy Jackson books just so easy to get into, they're so fun. I was debating on whether or not I wanted to read the spin offs, however, one of the store employees at BAM did tell me she liked the spin offs more though she loved this series so I might give them a try. 

Anyway, I think if I have any complaints about this one, I think it's that it seemed very similar to the first. Percy starts at school, he only has one friend at the school, he is attack at the school. Then, he ends up at came, he leaves the camp (though this time the quest isn't his). I think you get the point. I remember seeing someone complain about this, but I didn't think it would bother me as much and I had hoped I would get over it.

That aside, I was happy about everything else, such as the characters. I enjoyed seeing more of Clarisse, who is the daughter of Ares. We also met Hermes and his snakes in this book and the three of them were all highly amusing in this book. After what had happened in The Lightning Thief it was interesting to see what the god thought/felt about it. And, of course, there was Tyson the cyclops. Tyson is my absolutely favorite character of the series, after finishing the book, I hoped we would be seeing much more of him in the future. I also found this one a bit predictable. The end for example, I assumed would be happening sooner or later. However, I thought it was a good sour of predictable.

If I remember correctly, I got through the book rather quickly. Though I didn't like it as much as the first, it kept me hooked and I couldn't help, but jump right into the next book. I gave it a 4/5.




This is a book from my own personally library.

No comments:

Post a Comment