Search

Friday, June 21, 2013

Blog Tour: Awakened by Kriston Johnson


About Awakened


Awakened by Kriston Johnson
Series: The Legends Of Elyndia, #1
Publication date: April 25th 2013
Genre: YA Fantasy

Synopsis:
Can fighting for the right side be the wrong thing to do?

Draven, the tyrant ruler of Elyndia for the last one thousand years, searches for the one who can fulfill his prophecy.

The Paladins, an elite band of warriors sworn to protect their way of life at all cost, search for the one with the ability to bring their world crumbling down.

An innocent girl, tormented by demons only she can see, lives on the brink of insanity and longs for a life of peace.

When seventeen-year-old Jade Rosenberg reads from an antique book, she has no idea she just read an incantation awaking her inherited power. But when opposing—and equally terrifying—groups invade her home, she learns she is descended from an enchanted realm and a member of a powerful race thought to have been hunted to extinction.

Ripped from her world, Jade is forced to seek refuge from those who want her dead. She is given one of two options and the time has come for her to make a choice: assassinate their sworn enemy…

Or sacrifice her soul.


Purchase 


My Review


First, thing first, can I direct your attention to the cover? I have to tell you how much I love it. I don't know what it is, but it is definitely part of what drew me to be part of this Awakened blog tour. And then the description for the book sounds interesting no? Well if we're done admiring the cover, which by the way, I am not, we'll move on.

I think for the most part, this will be a rather quick review. I'll be honest with you, I've given the book a 4/5. However, I don't think I've gotten far enough away from the book yet to make a sound decision. I'm just not sure how much I like this book, if that makes sense.

Okay. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get into the book as quickly I was hoping to, however, once I got past the prologue everything was fine it took me about two sitting to finish the book. I didn't want to put it down, I forgot to eat, I was going to do some cleaning and some other stuff I forgot about. The whole average teen girl finding herself in a fantasy world, and finding out she has powers, might not be original, but it's a bit new for me outside of manga so it was kind of nice. There were a few things that had surprised me, things that had happened to Jade's father (or even her mother) for example, so it was nice to see that I shouldn't expect the book to be completely predictable or anything.

As for the cast of characters, I really liked them, with a single exception and this is one of the things that makes me wonder how much I really liked the book. Jade. Sometimes I really liked her character and sometimes I just couldn't stand her. There were also a few times were the dialogue between the characters seemed kind of strange to me. They also talked a lot. Something would happened and the characters would just stand around and Jade would ask questions and they would just talk, like the hadn't just been attacked or something. I found this a bit strange that this of all things annoyed me since I tend to be annoyed when books don't really have much dialogue between characters, but this was just over doing it a bit.

Still, I do see myself rereading this sometime in the future. Then, there was the ending and the prologue, which left me wanting more. Was it the best book I've ever read? No, of course not. But I really did enjoy it and I want more, in the end that was what mattered.

Somehow, this review didn't turn out as short as I expected it to.

4/5


About the Author


Kriston Johnson lives in Southwest Washington with her husband, teenage son, and miniature Australian Shepherd. Her home rests at the fringe of an old growth forest that she insists is the home of Jason Voorhees. Her husband thinks that’s a ridiculous assumption, because everyone knows it’s really Bigfoot. Every summer Kriston participates in the annual pilgrimage to Faerieworlds, a real life faerie realm here on Earth, and has an unhealthy obsession with Star Wars, The Vampire Diaries, and Iron Man. Awakened is her first novel. You can visit her online at www.kristonjohnson.blogspot.com.



Giveaway!


Open Internationally!

a Rafflecopter giveaway


2 comments:

  1. Great review, Jessie! I often feel torn on how to rate a book until I sleep on it so I completely get the indecisiveness. I does sound like a fun read especially for fantasy fans, and I'm glad you feel like you enjoyed it in the end ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jessie, for being a part of the tour and reviewing Awakened!

    ReplyDelete