Search

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Book Blogger Hop 8/16 - 8/22

Okay! So I've decided to start taking part in the Book Blogger Hop Hosted by Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.


So this weeks question is:

Were you a born bookworm or somebody got you into the habit of reading?

I want to say that I was a born bookworm. I grew up in a house where my mom was reading when she had the chance, she read to me and my bothers. We visited the libraries often. My mother was a part of children book clubs, so we received books in the mail every so often. I even saw my grandmother with her cheesy romance novels often, until her eyes starting going bad. My love of reading, I think came from both my mother and my grandmother (though the latter would deny really having any love for reading).

However, I think what really pushed me to read, wasn't the books coming in the mail, or seeing the adults in my life read. No, it was my elementary school teachers telling me that I couldn't. What? Teachers don't do that! Oh yes they do. I think I've mentioned it before, but English is technically my second language. But don't let that fool you, I feel more comfortable speaking English than Spanish, I always have. That didn't stop my teachers who knew what my first language was, from acting as if I was dumb as a rock. They would keep me from all the good books I wanted. I have a deep-seeded hatred of Judy Blume and reluctance of the contemporary genre thanks to my teachers. Any sort of fantasy and historical fiction were completely out of my league or so they kept telling me. I wasn't allowed to touch any of the Harry Potter books on my own at the school, my mother had to buy me my own copies so I could read them at home.

I wanted nothing more at the ages of seven through eleven to prove them all wrong. I think my habit of reading came from wanting to spite my teachers as odd as that might sound. I would bring in my Harry Potter books and other relatively big books and just read them before class in front of the teachers when they couldn't do anything about it.

So where you a born bookworm? Or did something get you in the habit of reading?

3 comments:

  1. Glad you were a bookworm from birth. Sorry about the teachers...I am surprised at that, but thanks for sharing.

    Have a good day.

    Happy Hopping!!


    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a born bookworm, too.
    But, I also had a similar experience with a teacher. I was in the fourth grade, and reading a ton of Shakespeare, when a teacher took it upon herself to decide I was far too young to be reading Shakespeare.
    She called my parents about it, and they were appalled. They definitely told her off. She needed to be worrying about the children in her class that were NOT reading instead of the ONE that was reading. My parents didn't buy into her BS about how I shouldn't read Shakespeare till high school. My parents have always encouraged my reading, and let me choose what I want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! How TERRIBLE that your teachers treated you that way!! My first language was Spanish, too, although I do read more in English now. I don't recall any teachers attempting to discourage me from reading certain books, but I DID encounter prejudice when I entered fourth grade, at a pubic school in Miami, Florida. My teacher at the time obviously did NOT like Hispanics. And his name was "Mr. Wellkind"!!!! How's THAT for irony?

    It's so sad when things like this happen.... There was a commercial on TV some years ago, with the motto: "A mind is a terrible thing to go to waste." How true! You know, I think that teachers who stifle a child's curiosity, especially in the area of reading, should be fired!!!

    I'm so glad you persisted in spite of the discouragement, and are still reading! KUDOS TO YOU!!

    Thanks for sharing your interesting story!! : )

    ReplyDelete