Search

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Review: Sapphique by Catherine Fisher

Description: "Finn has escaped Incarceron, but Keiro and Attia are still Inside. Outside, things are not at all what Finn expected - and both Finn's and Claudia's very lives hang on Finn convincing the Court that he is the lost prince. Back Inside, Keiro and Attia are on the hunt for Sapphique's glove, which legend says he used to escape. In order to find it, they must battle the prison itself. Incarceron has built itself a body and it wants to go Outside - just like Sapphique, the only prisoner Incarceron ever loved."



You have no idea how happy I was to get my hands on this book after finishing Incarceron. I didn't want to wait for it, so instead of ordering the book like I usually would, I went to the bookstore. (And, surprisingly  managed to only walk out with this one book, but that's a different story.)

I don't feel like I liked this one as much as the first. Though I liked Claudia more in this one (I don't know why). We are given this story from four different point of views, which might not have bothered me so much if I didn't like two of those characters all that much: Attia, who I found annoying, for lack of a better word; Jared, who I kind of liked in this first book, but really didn't care for in this one; And of course Finn and Claudia who I did like enough. Personally I would have been much happier if we were seeing what was happening in Incarceron from Keiro's point of view. While reading the first book and this one, I just felt like there was more to his character than what the others saw of him.

The story... felt a little like it took longer than it should have. There were times that I just wondered when it would hurry up and get to the point. On top of which the ending wasn't quite what I expected and I can't say that I liked it, or even made much sense to me. We are also pretty much told what will happen with Finn and Claudia, which only seemed out of place because unlike many other YA books out there, this one lacked romance. With the first one I believed that was fine, however, here we are with Claudia who was so desperate to get Finn out of Incarceron, now with him, but nothing seems to happen with it (I thought maybe there were some hints) but not enough to get the ending they had gotten, which is the problem.

Otherwise, I think I read Sapphique faster than I read the first book. I didn't really want to put it down when I had to. Even though I did feel like it dragged a bit, I was just too excited to find out what happened at the end. Originally I gave the book a 4/5, however, now that I think of it, it probably deserves less. I liked the book, but with everything I just said, I just can't imagine that it deserves anything more.

No comments:

Post a Comment