Search

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Review: The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

Description: "All year the half-bloods have been preparing for battle against the Titans, knowing the odds are against them. Kronos is stronger than ever, and with every god and half-blood he recruits, his power only grows.

In this momentous final book in the "New York Times" best-selling series, the prophecy surrounding Percy's sixteenth birthday unfolds. And as the battle for Western civilization rages on the streets of Manhattan, Percy faces a terrifying suspicion that he may be fighting against his own fate."


Well I took a while to put up this review didn't I?

No! I didn't want it to end! As the rest of the series The Last Olympian was amazing (though The Titan's Curse remains my favorite of the five). I can't wait until I get around to reading The Heroes of Olympus. Once again I am just at a loss of words for a book.

Can I repeat that it was amazing? The book jumps right into action. This one, though it's humor is just as great as the other books, I feel this one is a bit darker feel overall. There are a number of deaths, one of which I saw coming, though it didn't make it any less sad or anything. This was another book I finished quickly, but honestly I couldn't imagine taking my time with this one. And, of course, as I believe I've said in my other reviews for the books in this series, I loved the characters so no complaint there either. The more I think about this series, the more I want to reread it.

I don't even think I can say what my favorite part in the book was because I had many in this book. I loved every scene with Persephone and Demeter. Persephone seemed to have no problem with Nico who appeared to be living with her and Hades in the Underworld (at one point Hades yells at him sends him to is room), yet she didn't want to hear talk about his mother. Demeter, oh jeez, the goddess was very much the annoyed mother-in-law, who sounded like she knew better (of course at times it might have just been in her nature). She kept telling everyone they needed to eat more cereal, complaining about not seeing her daughter enough and at one point she says that Nico should go work in the fields because it builds character. The few parts of the Underworld were just some of my overall favorites.

I got teary while reading the end, it was also just perfect. I don't think I've ever been so satisfied with a series ending as I am with this one. Easily this one given a 5/5, because anything less would just be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment