Search

Loading...

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Blog Tour: Marry Me For Money by Mia Kayla


Marry Me For Money by Mia Kayla


Publication date: May 4th 2014
Genres: Adult, Contemporary, Romance

Synopsis:
Leaving her small town behind, Bethany Casse moves to Chicago in search of a new life. Working at a top financial bank brings her into contact with two men who are as different as night and day.

Kent Plack, heir to Plack Industries, has no interest in being with a woman for longer than one night. A spoiled and lazy man-whore, he is completely content with his playboy lifestyle, and Beth is surprised when they form an unlikely friendship.

Brian Burcham, a finance banker, is gorgeous and respectful. A man plucked from Beth’s dreams, he is definite husband material. Unfortunately, Beth has a hard rule against dating coworkers, but Brian is determined to change her mind.

When a deadbeat mother and money problems follow her to Chicago, Beth is offered a solution that could fix everything. Marrying for money seems simple enough, but when lines become blurred, Beth faces difficult choices, making her realize that the easy way out just made her life even harder than before.


Purchase


My Review


The Prologue starts off as a "how did I get here" wedding set up scene. For me it sucked me in a bit, but after that the first couple of chapters lost me. What I thought could have been a good contemporary romance was just an okay one. This was a reminder of why I'm on the fence with this genre.

Things I hate about contemporary romance: They don't have much family/lost family. This is actually something I half liked, as she was raised by her grandmother because her mother couldn't handle it. (It's something I don't usually see, usually the girl simply lost her parents for X reason.) And, the "wholesome good-girl" is so cliche. Seriously.

Other problems I had were: why would you talk to a guy you basically just met about when you lost your virginity and refer to it as your V-card like you are a high school student? It's one thing that he asked about if she was dating and she mentioned her high school boyfriend and that they broke up, but I really feel that mentioning that she lost her "V-card" to him was completely unnecessary to add. (Yes I just ranted about that.)

I was also rather annoyed with how Beth would throw Kent's lifestyle in his face. Personally, I work full-time, I don't party or anything, but I could relate more to Kent than I could to Beth. She acts like a kid, along with the inability to use the word virginity she sticks her tongue out a lot, she did stupid stuff prior to the beginning/during the duration of the book. Honestly there was a number of times I wanted to slap her.

Okay, so I probably can rant a little more. I know it doesn't sound good. But honestly, I did like the story, and the characters (other than Beth, but even she grew on me about halfway through). Plus I wanted to know how it ended. Overall it wasn't bad. I did like it I promise. I would give it a 3 out of 5, but not more than that. I think my main problem was that I didn't give myself more time to read it and I read it during a bad time for myself personally. I would probably pick it up again and give it a go.

3/5


About the Author


Mia Kayla is a New Adult/Contemporary Romance writer who lives in Illinois.

On the weekdays, she can be caught wearing a suit, commuting to her corporate job in downtown Chicago and raising three beautiful munchkins in the suburbs, four if you count the husband.

In her free time she loves reading romance novels, jamming to boy bands, catching up on celebrity gossip and designing flowers for weddings.

Most of the time, she can be caught on the train with her nose in a book sporting a cheeky grin because the main characters finally get their happily-ever-after at the end.

She loves reading about happy endings but has more fun writing them.

To find out more about her upcoming release, sign up for her newsletter. Click here to sign up.

Author Links:


Tour Wide Giveaway


Info:

  • Open US/Canada 
  • Ends 7/15


a Rafflecopter giveaway

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for being on the tour, Jessie! Glad you liked it overall even if you had problems with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reviewing and participating in the tour :)

    ReplyDelete